Immaculate Conception parish church
In 1578 the Carmelite friars of La Peñuela built it and inaugurated it as a new temple dedicated to the Virgen del Carmen, which was the one that San Juan de la Cruz visited on his first visit to this place. In 1767 the convent was expropriated and used to found La Carolina. The church was enlarged and erected as a parish church under the patronage of the Immaculate Conception, patron saint of Spain and of the colonising project. The central Carmelite nave was enlarged and two side naves were added at the height of the presbytery, which together with the sacristy and several chapels, formed an irregular and harmonious floor plan. In 1900, the current bell tower was added.
8 de June de 2022