Built at the end of the 18th century on the site of the former convent of the Discalced Carmelites of La Peñuela. It was the headquarters of the Superintendence of the New Settlements of Sierra Morena and Andalusia.
Located in a pre-eminent place next to the parish church of Immaculate, it presides over the life of the city in a very significant nod to the reformist policy of the Enlightenment. Of neoclassical style and monumental order, its main door stands out, flanked by superb columns that support the upper entablature crowned with the royal coat of arms of Carlos III, being the emblematic building of La Carolina as the Capital of the New Settlements.
In 1835, when the Fuero de Población ceased to exist and the Quartermaster´s Office was abolished, it was seized by the Amortization and became the property of the Civil Government of Jaén, being dismantled, put up for sale and put to various uses. It is currently the institutional headquarters of the municipality and of the Intendant Olavide Summer Courses of the University of Jaén, as well as hosting a multitude of cultural events.