Monument to the Battle of Navas de Tolosa
Erected at the northern entrance to the city and inaugurated on 17th July 1981, it is the work of the architect Manuel Millán López and the sculptor Antonio González Orea. It commemorates the victory of the Christian troops over the Almohads on 16th July 1212.
In the foreground is the bronze figure of the shepherd Martín Halaja, showing the way to the Christian troops. Behind him, next to the two great walls that symbolise the passage through the narrow paths of the Sierra Morena, sculpted in stone and from right to left, are represented Pedro II "The Catholic", King of Aragon, Alfonso VIII "The Battler" King of Castile, Sancho VII "The Strong", King of Navarre, the Archbishop of Toledo, Rodrigo Jiménez de Rada and Diego López de Haro, Lord of Vizcaya.