Room 4: From La Peñuela to Capital of the New Towns
The parishioner of La Carolina was built from the old Convent of La Peñuela, and its municipal area included the villages of Navas de Tolosa, La Fernandina, La Isabela, Vista Alegre, Ocho Casas and Seis Casas (the latter of which have now been reduced to farmhouses). Its progress and development was evident and exemplary, being commented on all over Europe. But he would soon suffer the opposition and anger of the Ancien Régime, in an orchestrated chastisement that was represented in the Inquisition's auto de fe against Olavide. Although the colonies lost their protective fathers, the Fuero allowed them to continue to grow and be happy towns, until the Spanish War of Independence in 1808 once again exacted the price of being a strategic point at the Gateway to Andalusia and their progress was paralysed in the face of the war effort. These towns were barely able to recover in the first half of the 19th century, and once the Fuero was abolished on 5th March 1835, they suffered great losses with the disentailment of the land and, in the case of La Carolina, there was an abrupt transformation due to the emergence of mining activity.