Room 3: Rome to Convent of La Peñuela

After the victory of Navas and the decisive campaign of Fernando III the Saint, this territory became part of the district and council of Baeza, its lands being handed over to knights who had taken part in the reconquest, as happened when the area known as the dehesa de Martín malo was formed, which comprised an extensive strip of land from what is now Guarromán to La Carolina. Around the middle of the 16th century, the landowner of Baeza, Alonso Sánchez Chacón, donated a house and property that he owned right where La Carolina is located to some friars who formed a small and humble hermitage. Encouraged by the priest Álvaro Núñez Marcelo and Fray Gabriel de la Concepción, in 1573 they founded the Convent of Nuestra Señora del Carmen de La Peñuela under the rule of the new Discalced Carmelites of Santa Teresa and Juan de la Cruz.