Presentation of La Carolina's Museum
The Museum of La Carolina brings together and disseminates the entire history of this municipality, mining district and gateway to Andalusia. It covers a wide chronological scope that goes from the first remains of human settlements in the Palaeolithic period (around 200,000 BC) to the end of the 20th century, when the important mining activity ends. Here you can learn about the remote past of this part of the Sierra Morena and Alto Guadalquivir, through its excellent collection of archaeological pieces, including Iberian ceramics, Roman lead and weaponry from the Battle of Navas de Tolosa (1212). The following rooms are dedicated to the New Towns and the foundation in 1767 of La Carolina as the capital of those colonies of Central European emigrants. Carefully designed and didactic graphics, models, plans and documents make up a reference space for learning about and delving into the exciting history of the reformist projects of the Enlightenment in Spain. And the last area is dedicated to the contemporary mining in the 19th and 20th centuries, when the Linares-La Carolina mining district was the world's leading producer of lead, with a large collection of tools and mining elements, as well as a recreation of a gallery and mine front. An essential visit to know La Carolina and the history of its people.